If you want to improve any area of your life, get decluttering and see how something so simple can have dramatic results.
Clutter means stagnant energy. To get your energy flowing, clutter must be cleared. Your home should be a relaxing sanctuary where you can escape from the pressures of modern living, a place that supports your body’s rejuvenation. However, if it’s piled up with too much “stuff,” it can make you feel mentally drained with all the things that you’ve been putting off but need to finish. This can lead to stress-related illnesses, chronic diseases, or exhaustion.
It is easy to feel overwhelmed if you have a lot of clutter, and that will mainly be because the clutter is draining your energy! So how to break this cycle?
Decide to make a change.
Tony Robbins says change can happen in a heartbeat. You just need to decide that you are going to take control of your surroundings. And then take some action!
Start your clutter-clearing this week. Choose one room in your home and for every object that you see, ask yourself: does this empower me? Does it diminish me? Ask yourself: “do I love it, do I use it, and does it make my heart sing?” If the answer is ‘No’ then it has to go!
The aim is to surround yourself with objects that make you feel vibrant and alive. Release objects that make you feel tired, lethargic, or depressed.
Clutter is anything unfinished, unused, unresolved, tolerated or disorganised. Clutter is energy constipation! It will bog you down and stop the energy flowing in your life and so affect your prosperity, relationships and well-being. It will stop you having the quality of life you really want.
If you are really low on energy, start small. The satisfaction of completely clearing, cleaning and reorganising your sock drawer or bathroom cabinet will give you the momentum to go on and tackle bigger areas.
Some areas to consider:
1. Books you will never read again. Sell them on Amazon to boost your bank balance, or donate them to charity or your local library.
2. Apply the 80% rule: 80% of the papers you keep are never looked at again, 80% of your clothes are rarely or never worn, 80% of what’s on your computer is never looked at again!
3. Computer – old downloads, cluttered desktop, saved emails, disorganized files.
4. Basement – in Feng Shui the basement represents the foundation of your life. Any clutter/stuck energy here will be rising up through your home and affecting you.
5. Office – clutter here affects your prosperity, productivity, energy, creativity and work with clients.
6. Bedroom – your health will be adversely affected by clutter in this area more than anywhere else. You need to sleep well so that your body will naturally heal itself.
7. Old bills – keeping bills and receipts longer than you have to holds you in the past.
8. Attic – clutter here is subconsciously bearing down on you. If you suffer with headaches, get clearing the attic.
9. Credit cards and bank accounts – how many do you really need? How many do you want to have to keep track of?
10. Magazines – will you ever read them or read them again? Give them to your local doctors, or hospital.
11. Photos – scan them to disk, make montages, scrapbook. Keep your favorite ones.
12. Craft projects half finished.
13. Clothes you no longer fit into or clothes that don’t make you feel wonderful. Better to have a wardrobe with a few items that you feel good in, than crammed full of stuff and ‘have nothing to wear’.
14. Storage sheds/garages – out of sight is not out of mind.
15. Clutter belonging to others. Tell them you need your own space!
16. Broken things – lack of care and respect you have for your home reflects a lack of care and respect for yourself.
17. Vitamins more than 6 months old have will have lost their effectiveness.
18. Gadgets you never use.
19. Sentimental stuff – does it raise your energy?
20. Kitchen – do you have food past its ‘eat by’ date, or food you no
21. Anything stopping doors from opening fully will be keeping energy from flowing into your home, as will anything you have to manoeuvre around to get to what you want.
22. Worn out underwear, socks with holes in.
23. Piles of books beside your bed.
24. Body feeling sluggish? Maybe it’s time for a detox – a body decluttering!
25. Handbags, wallets and briefcases reflect how you live your life. What state are yours in?
26. Old makeup – can harbour bacteria and infections, yuck!
27. Time clutter – too many things you think you ‘should’ do.
28. Debts – get help if you need to, set up repayment plans and focus on abundance, not on debt.
29. Letters and phone calls needing to be answered.
30. People who drain your energy. Life really is too short, cut the ties NOW.
31. Unwanted gifts – do not think you ‘have to’ keep something that is not serving you, give it to charity and let it go to someone who will love it.
And if you are trying to fool yourself that your clutter is ‘not that bad’, try taking some photographs of your home, it may surprise you. One of the fastest ways to create change in your life is to clear your clutter and get out from underneath it.
Where will you focus your new found energy?