And what a beautiful morning it is, a sunny day to mark my celebration of 7 years NED (No evidence of disease) of Inflammatory Breast Cancer
A day of reflection and deep gratitude for all the lovely people who have helped me on my journey to recovery. As usual this is tinged with sadness for all the people I’ve met who have not been as lucky as me.
I’ve packed a lot into these 7 seven years, cried a bit, laughed a lot and learned many things:
- Mammograms cause cancer- so no thanks, not for me
- Health and wellbeing are not the goals of drug companies, so avoid medication if you can
- Growing old is a privilege denied to many, so I am grateful for every birthday
- Not everyone who runs a charity or support group are neccessarily nice or kind
- Lots of nice and kind people are all around us
- You are what you eat
- You are also what you think about, so think happy thoughts
- Spend time with happy people – it’s contagious!
- Life is not always fair – get over it
- The harder I work, the luckier I get
- Miracles happen every day
- You can’t change other people, only yourself, so stop trying
- Never, never, never give up
I was asked to give a talk yeserday at the Macmillan Centre in Trafford, a wonderful place that helped me in my darkest hours; relaxation, reflexology, Reiki, singing in their choir, Tai Chi, counselling were all provided for me, in a safe haven with people who understood what I was going through.
They held a Ladies Day, where I learned about Pandiculation (no, never heard of it before, but it was great, this little fellow was stretched as we did deep breathing and yawning), some live music, a lovely lunch and then some pampering; hand massages, manicures, some women from Boots doing makeovers and me giving women eyebrows with Tropic.
The day started with me as the ‘motivational speaker’, as usual I was nervous about doing the talk, but was delighted with all the positive feedback I got, after my talk and throughout the day. I got home, tired but happy to a lovely email from the Macmillan worker who had organised the day ‘Many many thanks for your presentation Gabby. We were very pleased at how the day went, and your talk set the tone brilliantly! Many clients commented on how what you said moved, inspired and reassured them.’
All is well, thank you for reading x